Mrs Beeton's bread and butter pudding
Mrs Beeton's version of the famous bread and butter pudding. Not to be confused with bread pudding, which is quite different.
If you want a much richer, tangy version, we have one here
- 9 Thin Slices Of Bread and Butter
- 900ml (1½ pints) Milk
- 110g (4oz) Currants
- 4 medium Eggs
- Sugar, to taste
- Vanilla essence, Grated lemon peel or Nutmeg, to flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4) - (Moderate)
- Cut nine slices of bread thinly and butter them.
- Place into a pie dish with currants between each layer and on the top.
- Sweeten and flavour the milk, either by infusing with a little lemon peel, or by adding a few drops of vanilla essence.
- Whisk the eggs and stir into the milk.
- Strain this over the bread and butter.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour, or rather longer.
- This pudding may be very much enriched by adding cream, candied peel, or more eggs.
- It should not be turned out, but served in the pie dish and is better for being made about 2 hours before it is baked.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.