Ärtsoppa (Swedish pea soup)
From Cookipedia(Redirected from Best recipe for Ärtsoppa (Swedish pea soup))
Swedish pancakes should follow!
- 450 g ( 1 lb) dried yellow peas or split-peas
- 2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
- 225 g (8 oz) lean bacon
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (you probably won't need any salt if you are using salty bacon)
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard to serve
- Soak the dried peas for 12 hours (overnight) in plenty lots of cold water. I like to change the water and rinse a few times if I remember.
- In the morning, drain and rinse a few times in cold running water.
- To a large pan, add the chopped onions, drained peas, 1.5 litres of cold water (2 litres if you like a thinner soup), the bay leaf, the bacon or ham-hocks and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, skim any scum from the surface, add the herbs and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- It won't hurt to cook for longer.
- When ready to serve, discard the bay leaf, cut the meat into bite sized pieces and add back to the soup, discard any bones.
- Pour into individual serving bowls, swirl in a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and serve.
Det är jättegott!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.