Beetroot and bitter salad leaf risotto dressed with goats' cheese (V)
It serves 4 with fairly small portions, but it is quite filling.
- 1.2 litres weak vegetable stock (use 1 vegetable stock cube or 1 level teaspoon of vegetable bouillon powder.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 300 g pack of cooked beetroot, dipped in vinegar
- Freshly picked and chopped thyme leaves from a large sprig of thyme
- 250 g Italian risotto rice
- 100g roll of goats' cheese, crumbled
- 80 g mixed bitter salad leaves, (watercress, spinach, rocket), large stems discarded
- Roughly grate the beetroot
- Blitz half of the grated beetroot to a pureé in a food processor and keep the grated beetroot and the beetroot pureé separate
- Make up the stock with boiling water and keep it hot over a very low flame
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add a big pinch of black pepper
- Sauté the onion for 5 minutes, don't brown it.
- Sauté the garlic for 1 minute
- Stir in the rice and allow it to become coated by the oil
- Mix in the grated beetroot and half of the thyme leaves
- Allow the beetroot to warm through
- Start adding the hot stock to the rice, 1 ladleful at a time. Wait until the previous ladle of stock has been completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. This will take 25 to 35 minutes.
- Keep the rice simmering during this stage
- When you are down to the last ladle of stock, add it with the beetroot pureé and ensure most of the liquid is absorbed into the rice
- Stir in the salad leaves and half of the goats' cheese, let the leaves wilt and the cheese melt into the rice, giving it a nice creamy finish
- Spoon onto serving plates and dress with the remaining goats' cheese and salad leaves
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#rice #beetroot #stock #grated #salad #onion #thymeleaves #vegetablestock #vegetarian #miseenplace #vegetable