Beetroot, pork and apple hash
We are trying to achieve the 5 a day vegetable regime and to this end, I created this dish, loosely based on the beetroot rosti. It was fabulous. You could probably make a neater version by frying individual patties. I was more concerned with getting it to the table and eating it so I cooked the whole thing as you would with bubble and squeak, patting it flat in the frying pan and constantly turning it over to ensure that it's cooked evenly. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan if it appears to be drying out. I wouldn't worry about the toasty burnt bits either as they are delicious in their own right. A very successful experiment which went very well with purple sprouting broccoli, sauteed in olive oil and a few crushed cloves of garlic.
- 3 cooked beetroots, grated and squeezed dry (or spun in a salad spinner)
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 200 g cooked gammon or ham, shredded
- Freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of salt
- Olive oil
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy based frying pan
- Fill the pan with the mixture and pat it flat
- Cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, stir the mixture up with a fish slice and turn portions of the hash over to ensure its toasted all over
- Repeat for 10 minutes so the apple, beets and ham are caramelised
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#oliveoil #beetrootporkandapplehash #ham #grated #purplesproutingbroccoli #saladspinner #sauteed #shredded #beetrootrosti #cookingapple #caramelised