Beef and red pepper meatloaf (slow cooker recipe)
This delicious meatloaf recipe, adapted for use in a slow cooker can be served hot or cold.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 500g minced beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- 50 g pine nuts
- 1 red pepper, roasted and peeled and chopped finely
- A few fresh bay leaves
- Lightly grease the crockpot
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok fry the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes
- Add the spices and fry off for another minute or so
- Add the minced beef, beaten egg, breadcrumbs, pine nuts, peppers and the onion mix and combine with your hands
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes
- Pack the mix into the crockpot and tamp down with a flat object, or roll flat with a tumbler.
- Dress with the bay leaves
- Cover with the lid and cook on medium for 4 hours on low
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 15 minutes
Line the tin with streaky bacon, leaving some extra to fold over the top and this dish will go even further
Using a large slow cooker instead of a small bread tin, the depth of the meatloaf is quite thin, however, it is still very moist and perfectly acceptable. If were sure you liked the taste and texture of this meatloaf, you could double the quantities and make one of a size that would slice like a conventional meatloaf. You would need to feed a large family (or a small institution) to make a meatloaf of this size. Use a mix of minced beef and pork.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.