Bean salad with fennel and roasted peppers
If you have not tried finely sliced fennel bulbs in a salad, you are missing out on a subtle, almost onion-like crunch with very slight aniseed overtones. Add some beans for body, peppers for richness and sherry vinegar, just because you can, you have a complete, gorgeous meal. Try it
- 1 400 g can of haricot beans, rinsed many times and then drained.
- 2 sweet bell peppers, any colour.
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced finely, green tops reserved, if you are lucky enough to find a seller that retains them!
- Half an onion, very thinly sliced.
- A small handful of freshly chopped oregano leaves.
- A large handful of freshly chopped parsley leaves.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, bruised in a mortar and pestle.
- 3 teaspoons of sherry vinegar.
- Roast the bell peppers as shown here, remove skin and seeds then tear into strips.
- Place the beans, sliced fennel, fennel seeds and onions together with the roasted pepper strips in a serving bowl. Add the parsley, oregano and reserved fennel tops if you had any. Toss well.
- Drizzle with sherry vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil, Season with salt and pepper and toss again..
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#sherryvinegar #fennelseeds #beansaladwithfennelandroastedpeppers #beans #fennel #oliveoil #onion #lemonjuice #salad #bellpeppers #fennelbulb