Basic white sourdough
Worked well for me
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- If your sourdough leaven has been in the fridge, remove it the day before you want to start making your bread and refresh it with 50g flour and 40g water.
- Mix all of the ingredients, excluding the salt.
- Knead according to your chosen method.
- Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
- Cover and leave at room temperature until the dough has almost doubled in size or preferably leave overnight.
- Gently knead the salt into the dough, and repeat stages 3 and 4 - the second rising should not take so long as the first one.
- Either place the dough in a 900g loaf tin or shape into a ball and place, seam side up into an oiled bowl or a banneton which has been lined with cling-film and oiled.
- Allow to prove until almost doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to its highest setting, putting a semolina dusted baking stone (if using) on an oven shelf before switching on.
- Also, to ensure a good crust, place a bowl or tray in the bottom of the oven and half-fill it with hot water.
- Once the dough has risen sufficiently place into the oven if using a loaf tin.
- If you are using a banneton or bowl, turn the dough out onto a semolina dusted peel and gently slide it onto the baking stone.
- Reduce the heat to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour].
- Bake for 30 minutes, turn the loaf upside down and bake for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
This loaf was not as holey as the one I first made as I added only 300g water. Next time, I will add the full quantity to create a nice holey texture.
- Rye sourdough starter
- Spelt sourdough starter
- Cheese and olive sourdough
- Sourdough recipe from Nik and Edwina's
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#dough #basicwhitesourdough #sourdough #bread #semolina #banneton #knead #flour #bakingstone #yeast #cheese