This is a light adaptation of Jamie Oliver's basic risotto recipe from his book The Return of the Naked Chef (ISBN 0140292616)
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- Garlic to taste, finely diced
- ½ head of celery, finely diced
- 400g arborio rice
- 250ml dry white wine
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 80g butter
- 130g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and slowly fry the onions, garlic and celery until soft.
- Increase the heat add the rice and fry, stirring constantly for about a minute until it looks slightly translucent.
- Add the wine, and still stirring, cook until it has been absorbed by the rice.
- Next, add a pinch of salt and add a ladle of the hot stock.
- Reduce the heat so that the liquid simmers quite vigorously, but does not boil.
- As the rice absorbs the stock, keep adding more, a ladleful at a time, constantly stirring the rice gently.
- When all the stock has been used and absorbed, the rice should be soft, but still be slightly al dente.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and the Parmesan and check seasoning.
- Cover and leave to rest before serving.
This is just a basic recipe. You can add other ingredients of your choice to personalise it to you taste.
Random recipe review
Don't fporget the Parmesan
..but don't add too much!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#basicrisotto #rice #stock #diced #parmesancheese #onions #celery #butter #garlic #fry #oliveoil