Barley water (TM)
- 40g pearl or pot barley
- 1 litre water
- 60g sugar
- 2 largish oranges, squeezed (reserve the rind and pith as well)
- 2 lemons, squeezed (reserve the rind and pith as well)
- Grind the barley in the TM bowl, about 2 minutes / increasing to Speed 10.
- Add the water and the citrus rind, which has been cut into large pieces.
- Cook 25 minutes / 100° / Speed 1.
- Add the sugar and the citrus juice and stir 20 seconds / Speed 2.
- Allow to cool and strain through the internal steaming basket if desired, or just remove the citrus pieces.
- Pour into a jug and refrigerate.
- The basis for the recipe is one for Lemon Barley Water on the Thermomix Australia website, but I wanted it to be more citrus-y with far less sugar. I rarely put barley in stews or soups so thought it would be better to grind it to benefit from its goodness.
The amount of sugar is an estimate as it depends on the size and sweetness of your oranges, and also everyone has different ideas of what is and what isn't too sweet. I would start at 60g and add more water if too sweet, and more sugar if not sweet enough. I had to add a little extra water personally.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.