Agnello in agrodolce (sweet and sour lamb)
This is a delightful recipe, but don't expect it to be the same as the bright orange Chinese version that you may be familiar with!
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5 tablespoons full cream milk
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 kg (2 lb) lamb shoulder, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 125 ml high quality white wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Fry the onions in half of the olive oil until golden brown and reserve.
- Meanwhile, mix the milk and tomato paste together.
- Brown the lamb in the remaining oil.
- Season the meat with a little salt, add the onions back to the pan and pour in the tomato mixture. I added just a few tablespoons of water at this stage as it looked as though it would not survive an hour of simmering.
- Simmer gently for about an hour.
- After an hour, add the vinegar, sugar and a good grind of black pepper then cook for the final 15 minutes.
- Chop the basil and add just before serving.
Making this for 2 people, I used 350g of lamb shoulder fillet, but kept the remaining ingredients the same. I reduced the simmering time to 30 minutes as it was nice tender fillet.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#lamb #oliveoil #onions #tomato #duck #cream #whitewinevinegar #spaghetti #tomatopaste #granulatedsugar #lambtenderloin