Baked Chicken and Sweet Potato
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A complete roast dinner in one tray that proves to be another ingenious way to use your preserved lemons.
- 2 preserved lemons, plus some juices from the jar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 12 chicken thighs (bone still in and skin on)
- 900g sweet potato
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into crescent moon-shape slices
- 175g Belazu black olives with herbs
- good handful of flat-leaf parsley and mint
- Remove the flesh from one of the preserved lemons and mix it with the olive oil, paprika, garlic and two tablespoons of juice from the preserved lemon jar and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the chicken in this marinade, making sure that it is well coated. Cover lightly and put in the fridge for anything from two to 24 hours. Turn the pieces every so often.
- You don't really need to peel the sweet potatoes - but you can if you want to. Chop them into 4 x 4 cm chunks. Place the chicken and its marinade, the potatoes and onions in a single layer into a large roasting tin.
- Season the vegetables and drizzle with a little olive oil (not too much, the chicken will provide fat and juices for the vegetables). Turn the vegetables over to make sure they are lightly coated with fat and bake in an oven preheated to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 for 45.0 mins. Spoon the cooking juices over the chicken and stir the vegetables every so often.
- Slice the other preserved lemon thinly and add it to the pan, with the olives, 15 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Spoon everything on to a large heated platter or into a broad shallow bowl and serve scattered with the roughly torn parsley and mint.
(Sunday Telegraph magazine)
This recipe originated from the recipe section of Belazu.com