If you have the time and want to try the authentic method using a pestle and mortar, we have the recipe for Allioli a la Catalana
- 1 small free range egg
- 1 cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- Break the egg into a small mixing bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the crushed garlic cloves and the vinegar or lemon juice
- If using a food processor, tip the contents of the bowl into the food processor
- At full-speed, mix until the garlic is combined into a paste
- Little by little (don't rush this stage), add the olive oil whilst blending at high speed
- Add salt to taste - but not too much. My first attempt was ruined because it was too salty.
If the allioli is too thick, add a teaspoon of water to loosen it.
It will probably be too runny if you use a large egg, so if you have no choice of size, use less of the white. You can always add more if needed; you can't take it out afterwards though!
This can also be made in a food processor with a blade attachment.
If you add the olive oil too quickly and the mixture separates into an oily mess, try the rescue method recommended by the award-winning Spanish chef, José Andrés: "Measure out 1 tablespoon of lukewarm water and add to the mix little by little until you have the creamy sauce you wanted".
Having tried the above suggestion a few times to no avail, I would suggest adding another whole fresh egg into the split mixture, maybe a dash of nice vinegar and just blitz for a minute or so. You'll hear the difference as the curdled mixture starts to coagulate properly. This fix has worked for me, every time.
- A huge variety of different mayonnaise recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#alliolialamoderna #oliveoil #garlic #lemonjuice #foodprocessor #garlicmayonnaise #egg #garlicmayonnaiserecipes #spanish #unusualrecipes #vinegar