Allioli a la Catalana
This recipe is for the traditional hand-made allioli (Garlic mayonnaise). If you don't have 20 minutes of mortar and pestle time available, you might want to take the short-cut and try our garlic sauce recipe that uses an electric mixer. However if you have the time and need some therapy, read on
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- A pinch of sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice from ¼ of a large lemon
- 1.5 cups of Spanish extra virgin olive oil
- Add the salt and garlic cloves to a large round mortar and smash the cloves into a smooth paste
- Add the lemon juice to the garlic paste
- Then, drop-by-drop, add the olive oil, crushing the paste, turning the mortar as you go
- Don't add the next drops of olive oil until the last have been completely amalgamated into the paste
- After about 20 minutes you should have a sauce the consistency of a very thick mayonnaise.
- If it is too thick, you can add a drop or two of water to thin it out
Servings: 12 - Makes 1 cup of alliloli
Don't add the oil too quickly.
- A huge variety of different mayonnaise recipes
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #oliveoil #alliolialacatalana #spanish #mayonnaise #lemonjuice #sauce #fish #mortarandpestle #lemon #mixer