This is a chilled, spicy sauce from East Africa. There are many variations, but this version comes from Kenya.
Prompted by the popularity of our meat time cooking calculator, We thought that a simplified version of this would be useful on all of our recipies. It will give you a rough idea of when the recipe will be completed. By default it uses the current time as the recipe start time or you can select a completion time and it will show you when you should begin the recipe. Try it now!
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes, drained, or 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 small green chillies. finely chopped - remove seeds if you prefer
- 1 small, or ½ medium onion, finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes, or 1 lemon, or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Mix thoroughly all of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Allow to chill and use within 24 hours.
Great for barbecues!