Whole chicken pressure cooker recipe
A different way to cook chicken
The result is similar to using our steamed chicken recipe which leaves the meat moist and full of flavour but it takes even less time!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 x 1.4kg chicken (any size would do and cooking time should be similar for all sizes). Don't forget to remove the Parson's nose
- A huge handful of fresh herbs from the garden
- Bay, sage, cutting celery, parsley, leeks
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- Remove the giblets and the parson's nose. Wash the bird in running water and pat dry - see rationale
- Heat the olive oil and carefully brown the chicken on all sides. This should take about 5 minutes. I prefer to use my wok for this, though you could use the pressure cooker.
- Discard the oil
- Place the bunch of herbs in the base of the pressure cooker and cover with the upturned perforated trivet so the chicken can sit on the and be out of the cooking liquid
- Mix 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce to 1 litre of boiling water, stir and add to the pressure cooker
- Sit the chicken on the perforated trivet, put the lid on and bring up to high pressure
- Cook for 25 minutes
- Release the pressure naturally
- Discard the cooking liquids and the herbs and serve or use as your recipe directs.
Sitting on the trivet, over the herbs. And I forgot to remove the parson's nose Doh!
Next time I will try reducing the pressurised cooking time to just 20 minutes. At 25 minutes it was certainly not overcooked but I just feel that 20 minutes together with the natural de-pressurising would be time enough.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#wholechickenpressurecookerrecipe #chicken #pressurecooker #steamedchicken #oliveoil #darksoysauce #garlicpowder #herbs #cuttingcelery #bay #sage