Vegetable stock (2)
- 400 g each (after cleaning and peeling) of leeks and carrots, cut into chunks
- Few sprigs of parsley
- Celery leaves and celery - quantity depends on how leafy your celery is
- 6 bulbs of garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled.
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 white peppercorns
- 6 blades of mace
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3.5 litres bottled or filtered water - this reduces the need for skimming
- Place all of the ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Strain through a colander.
- Strain again through a colander which has been lined with cheesecloth.
- Return stock to washed out pan and leave until cool.
- Pour into 4 Lock&Lock or other containers, allow to go completely cold, then freeze.
- When you come to use the stock, filter it again, using the method given for ice filtered consommé for a clear liquid as illustrated.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.