Tantan soup with ramen, pak choi and mad eggs
"Inspired by a lovely soup we had in a Japanese restaurant in Kensington, this is a deliciously comforting, nutty flavoured soup, with the noodles and pak choi and particularly the eggs providing a rich and tasty counterpoint. If you freeze the soup it can separate a bit, so give it a quick whizz in a blender when you defrost it"
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
The Mad Eggs:-
- 200ml regular soy sauce
- 200ml water
- 20g sugar
- ½ teaspoons truffle oil
- 4 whole soft-boiled eggs, carefully peeled
The Tantan Soup:-
- 750ml chicken stock
- 375ml Nage
- 250ml Dashi
- 100g white sesame seeds
- 150g tahini
- 100mls regular soy sauce
- 25g sugar
- 1 hot chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 20g ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 15g spring onion, finely chopped
- 350g fresh ramen noodles (or use another noodle)
- 4 medium sized heads of pak choi, quartered
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- Mix together the soy, water, sugar, and truffle oil, then marinate the eggs in this overnight if possible, but for at least four hours
- Heat a frying pan, and add the sesame seeds, toasting them till a good third of them are browning and oil is starting to leak from them. Whizz them in a blender
- Put the stocks in a good sized heavy bottomed pan, bring them to a boil. Whisk in the sesame mix, then add the soy, the sugar, the chilli, the ginger, the spring onions and the tahini.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer gently for 15 mins. Whisk the dashi in, bring back to the boil again, then take off the heat.
- Meanwhile, steam the pak choy till its only just done, and set aside, then cook your noodles.
- Place a quarter of the noodles in each of four deep soup bowls, and ladle a portion of soup into each. Pile some pak choi on top.
- Place a soft boiled egg on top of the pak choi, sprinkle with the chopped coriander leaves and serve
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.