Sweet and sour sauce
This sauce goes well with much more than just Chinese dishes and it's so quick to make.
If you're looking for something a little different, try the very subtle Sweet and sour sauce with black vinegar.
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) water
- 100g (4 oz) sugar
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) white wine vinegar or malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Bring ¾ of the water to the boil
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved
- Add the vinegar and stir for a minute
- In a saucer, mix the remaining water, tomato purée and cornflour into a smooth paste
- Mix into the hot pan and stir continuously until thickened
- Pour into a gravy dish
Great with anything!
Add some chopped chillies for a hot sauce.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.