Sweet and sour chicken livers
It's very different!
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 450 g (1 lb) Chicken livers, rinsed, dried, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of yellow cornmeal.
- 2 green bell peppers, de-seeded and cut into chunks.
- 4 slices of canned pineapple rings cut into chunks.
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock.
Sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour.
- 100g (4 oz) white sugar.
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce.
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) white wine vinegar.
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) water.
- Add the cornmeal to a plate and roll the chicken livers around so they are well coated.
- Heat the oil and fry the chicken livers in batches until they are nicely browned. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add the peppers to the wok and stir-fry for 4 minutes on a very high heat so they brown up a little.
- Add the stock and the pineapple chunks, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Mix the cornflour to a paste with a little of the water. Add to the remaining sweet and sour sauce ingredients and stir into the wok, heat and allow to thicken. It will turn all of a sudden. Once it has thickened, mix well and remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken livers.
Serve immediately with plain boiled rice.
Don't be alarmed by the quantity and liquidity of the sweet and sour sauce before it is cooked. It will thicken up once cooked.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#sweetandsourchickenlivers #chickenlivers #yellowcornmeal #pineapple #wok #cornmeal #lightsoysauce #fry #bellpeppers #cornflour #fruit