Stone baked sheepish pizza
(Redirected from Stone baked sheepish pizza recipes)
Mad cheese mix!
A Pizza stone makes such a gorgeous pizza that even though we went to the fabulous Borough Market, we had already decided that the evening meal had to be a pizza of some sort. The smells from a visit to Neals Yard Dairy were the deciding factor, it had to be a smelly cheese pizza. Although sheeps cheese is not ideal for a pizza, as it seems to melt away to nothing, the flavour still remains, especially if it's a nice stong smelly cheese.
We chose three British cheeses for our pizza:
- 1 portion pizza dough - Makes 2 pizzas
- 1/3rd of a red onion, finely sliced
- 3 or 4 thin slices of Wigmore cheese
- 3 or 4 thin slices of Little Ryding cheese
- 3 or 4 thin slices of Ragstone cheese
- A good glug of garlic olive oil
- A pinch or dried or fresh oregano
- A few very thin shaves of home smoked bacon
- A twist of black pepper
- Fine yellow cornmeal for dusting
- If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone under a very hot grill for about 20 minutes. Place it about 8cm (3") from the heat source.
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Preheat the grill to as hot as you can get it
- Set the pizza stone about 8cm (3") below the grill or the pizza may burn
- Dust the work-surface with fine yellow cornmeal
- Stretch or roll the dough into two thin rounds
- Prick the pizzas all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking
- Slide the empty pizza onto the pizza stone using a pizza peel and grill on one side only until lightly browned, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle the pizza with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of oregano over the base
- Spread with thinly sliced red onions and divide the cheese into three distinct areas on the pizza
- A final drizzle of live oil and a grind of black pepper finishes the preparations
- Bake for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on how hot your oven is) or until the cheese browns a little - watch it closely as it can easily burn.
- Keep the fist pizza warm at the bottom of the oven whilst you make the second.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#stonebakedsheepishpizza #pizza #pizzastone #fineyellowcornmeal #cheese #pizzapeel #ragstonecheese #littlerydingcheese #oregano #grill #wigmorecheese