Steak and kidney pie
Better than anything you can buy
- 600 g (1lb 5 oz) diced stewing steak, diced
- 280 g (10 oz) beef kidney, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 150ml/5fl oz beef stock mixed with a dash of red wine. Half an Oxo cube would do at a push
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of mustard
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 225g/8oz ready rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - Gas 6 - Moderately hot)
- If your electric oven has the options of upper, lower, both elements, use the lower element.
- Trim any excess fat from the steak and the kidneys
- Season the flour and add the steak and kidney and coat well
- shake off any excess flour
- Layer the onion, meat and parsley into a buttered pie dish
- Mix the tomato purée, beef stock and mustard
- Pour the stock mixture into the dish so that the meat is just over half covered. Add extra water if required
- Roll out the pastry to 2mm (1/8") thick and cut a long strip to fit around the edge of the pie dish
- Brush the edge of the dish with water and press the strip on to it.
- Brush the top of the strip with more water and lay the pastry on the top to make a lid
- Trim away any excess and crimp the edge. Cut a 1cm (½") hole in the top to allow steam to escape or fit a pie funnel.
- Refrigerate the pie for 15 minutes
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes in the middle of the oven until the pastry has risen and is golden brown
- Once the pastry has risen, lay a sheet of tin foil very loosely over the top of the pastry to prevent it overcooking
- Lower the heat to 180° C (350° F - Gas 4 - moderate) and cook for a further 90 minutes
Yield to the Delia (Smith) Effect: Add a few tablespoons of mushroom ketchup to the stock mixture.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#steakandkidneypie #pastry #puffpastry #parsley #brush #mustard #onion #flour #gravy #steam #mushroomketchup