You could make this with frozen peas if you have to but do try it just once with fresh peas.
If using frozen peas, cook for a similar time.
- 1 kg (2¼lb) fresh shelled garden peas
- 10 freshly picked mint leaves, 5 whole and 5 chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add the shelled peas, sugar and half of the mint leaves to a pan of boiling water
- Bring back to the boil and simmer hard for 20 minutes
- Drain the peas and discard the whole mint leaves
- Add peas back to the pan with butter and season to taste
- Gently heat the peas in the butter for 5 minutes, stirring now and again
Serve hot with the 5 chopped mint leaves
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.