Squeezy cheese cookies
Having just bought myself another toy; an Oxo Good Grips Cookie Press, I thought I should find a suitable recipe to use it with. I can't abide sweet biscuits so it has to be something savoury. This is it. Don't bother trying to use the cookie press with this recipe. I can't get this (or any other) recipe to work well in the Oxo Good Grips Cookie Press. The dough is either too hard to extrude properly or too liquid so ends up as a splodge on the baking tray.
This recipe works perfectly as cheese cookie recipe, but you'll need to hand cut the cookies manually. I've made this recipe 4 times now and to my mind, the best cookies are very thin ones, 2 to 3 mm when cooked. These have a nice crisp crunch.
- 150 g [5 oz - 1.5 cups] plain flour
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 60 g [2.5 oz] butter cut into small cubes
- 225 g [1.5 lb] strong Cheddar cheese, roughly grated
- Preheat your oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Ensure the cheese and butter are at room temperature
- Add the dry ingredients to a food processor with a metal blade and pulse until combined.
- Add the butter and cheese and mix until it separates into small balls. Don't over mix.
- Tip into a bowl and knead with your hands to combine into a pliable dough.
- Shape the dough into a sausage shape, wrap in cling-film and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- You can refrigerate at this stage and bake the cheese cookies later. If you do this, allow the dough to get back to room temperature.
- Cut the dough into thin slices, 2 mm to 3 mm thick, the thinner the better. Spread out on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper or Bake O Glide.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 8 minutes or until the edges begin to brown
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.