Spicy vegetable samosa filling (V)
This is basically the filling for vegetable samosas, however it could easily be served as a main course with pilau rice and naan breads Because it is meant to be a samosa filling it should be quite dry or you will have a shock when you deep fry them! If you are serving this as a main course it does not have to be as dry.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- ½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- ½ cup finely sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut (you can prepare this yourself if you wish)
- 1 green chilli, de-seeded and sliced into rings
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2.5 cm (1 ") peeled ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- A big handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes, peel and roughly mash them
- Cook the peas by boiling or microwaving
- Cook the cabbage by boiling or microwaving so it's to your liking
- Fry the onions in the oil until slightly brown
- Add all of the spices apart from the coriander and stir-fry for 3 minutes
- Add the mashed potatoes, peas and cabbage and stir-fry for a little longer, mixing well
- Add all of the spices apart from the coriander leaves, stir well and fry for a minute
- Add the lemon juice and coriander leaves
Serve as a vegetable main course or use as a filling for vegetable samosas.
If you're not an expert then see: how to fold samosas.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#corianderleaves #fry #maincourse #groundcoriander #stirfried #gingerroot #lemon #chilli #cabbage #vegetableoil #lemonjuice