Sopa de almendras de La Palma
La Palma is one of the lesser known Canary Islands, but it is famous for being the home of the Isaac Newton Group of telescopes (ING). It also has the world's largest volcanic crater.
Their main production crop is almonds.
- 250 ml olive oil
- 250 g unpeeled whole almonds
- 1 kg firm potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3-4 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 largish tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- A couple of sprigs of thyme
- Black pepper
- A few strands of saffron
- 1 clove
- Water or vegetable stock
- Grind up the unpeeled almonds in a food processor.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, fry the onion and add the garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, pepper, salt, saffron and clove.
- Mix well and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir, followed by the ground almonds.
- It is ready when the potatoes are cooked, but if you find that you need to, top it up with water or vegetable stock to prevent it sticking and then adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Remove the bay leaf, thyme and clove before serving.
To save time, you could par boil the cubed potato before adding it to the soup. However, start with potataoes in cold water, so that the cubes are less likely to break up as it is desirable to retain the whole cubes in the finished product.--JuliaBalbilla 09:54, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #bayleaf #thyme #almonds #garlic #soup #vegetablestock #tomatoes #sopadealmendrasdelapalma #saffron #onion