They don't actually need to be coated with anything providing you cook them on a non-stick surface. Panko breadcrumbs work well. For this batch I used a mixture of black & white poppy seeds. sesame seeds are very good too.
After trying many varieties of sausages I have found the nicest tasting were Morrisons own brand sausages. They are also economical [from 97p to £1.65 for 454 grams - March 2018] Another advantage of these is that the sausagemeat is really easy to extract from the sausages because the skins are so loose on the uncooked sausages.
- 2 packs of Morrisons own brand sausages [454 g per pack]
- 8 medium free range eggs - ensure the eggs are at least 4 days old or you will be unable to peel them easily.
- Optional flavourings and coatings
- Add the eggs to a pan of warm water and bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs using a teaspoon. Doing this under a trickle of water sometimes makes the task a little easier.
- Preheat your oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Squeeze the sausagemeat from 16 raw sausages into a bowl.
- If you are going to add any flavourings to the sausage meat, do this now.
- Using your hands - latex gloves make this easier - squidge the sausage meat together so it's mixed well. Especially if your using a mixture of sausages.
- Weigh out about 110g of sausage meat and make a round pattie - about 13 cm [5 inches] in diameter.
- Place a hard-boiled egg in the centre of the pattie and work it into a ball, ensuring there is no seam.
- If you are going to coat them, sprinkle your coating onto a large plate and roll the scotch eggs around in the mixture until they are completely covered.
- Place the eggs on o non-stick baking tray or a baking tray covered with grease-proof paper.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, turning once.
- Allow to cool and serve.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#scotcheggs #eggs #sausagemeat #sausages #scotch #sesameseeds #poppyseeds #bake #bakingtray #panko #boil