Salsa de chile a la Jalapa
This cold, spicy sauce comes from the city of Jalapa (Xalapa) in the state of Veracruz in Mexico.
- 1.2 kg tomatoes, skins removed (but leave seeds in)
- 5 or more Cloves garlic, chopped
- 220 g red jalapeño chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the tomatoes, garlic and chillies in a saucepan and allow to simmer gently, stirring from time to time.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the sugar and salt.
- Stir regularly, uncovered, until it caramelises slightly.
- Allow to cool and blend in a processor until it gets to your desired consistency.
It needs to end up fairly thickish.
Make sure you do not let it burn.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.