Rustic style French loaf
This is really more of a reminder to anyone with a breadmaker, than a proper recipe.
We have a Panasonic SD253 breadmaker and it is wonderful. We have used it twice a week for the last year or so to make white or wholemeal loaves. However, we have only recently tried some of the other recipes that came with the breadmaker. This is one of them. Both of the French bread recipes make exceedingly good bread. There is no sugar and also 100g less flour than you have in similar sized loaf recipes, making for a very light and airy loaf.
If you are attempting to make this without a breadmaker I would be inclined to let it prove for twice as long as you would normally, due to the lack of sugar.
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 275 g (10 oz) very strong white flour
- 75 g (3 oz) strong wholemeal flour
- 50 g (2 oz) rye flour
- 15 g (1/2 oz) butter - don't be tempted to use olive oil, it does not work as well for this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 310 ml water - or by weight instead of volume, 310 g water
- Tip all of the ingredients into the breadmaker
- On the Panasonic SD 253 breadmakers select French Bake program For the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker use menu option 08, French bake.
- Baked in 6 hours
The timer can be used with this recipe
If this loaf does not rise properly and you are using in-date yeast and strong bread flour and then it might be problem with your breadmaker. With our late Panasonic SD253 breadmaker, this was the recipe that failed to rise, when all other recipes seemed to work. Eventually this was cured by the replacement: Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker.
- See also: Bread rising problems
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#breadmaker #rusticstylefrenchloaf #wholemealflour #breadrisingproblems #strongwhiteflour #panasonicsd253 #strongbreadflour #panasonicsd253breadmaker #butter #driedyeast #oliveoil