Roast vegetable moussaka
A healthier and more veggie-friendly version of the classic Greek recipe. It can all be prepared in advance except for the yogurt-based topping.
- 500g potatoes, sliced no thicker than 1cm (any type really, ordinary bakers will do)
- 2 peppers, sliced (red/orange/yellow)
- 1 large aubergine, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 300g cherry tomatoes, whole
- 250g passata
- 250g feta cheese
- 300ml natural yogurt
- 3 free range eggs
- 35g Parmesan grated
- Olive oil
- Parboil potatoes for 5 mins and drain
- Divide the potatoes, aubergines, peppers, onion and garlic between 2 baking trays. (I only used two to ensure they cooked evenly, if you have a very large tray it wouldn't make much difference)
- Toss the vegetables in some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 20 mins. Add the tomatoes whole and roast for a further five mins, or until the skins have begin to burst.
- In a large baking dish, layer half the roasted veg, then half the passata, and crumble the feta over. Then the rest of the veg and the passata on top.
- Mix the yogurt, the eggs and most of the parmesan in a jug, and pour evenly over the whole thing. Sprinkle over the rest of the parmesan.
- Bake for 30 mins. The topping should be turning a nice brown colour (not black!)
Serve with a green salad.
Might be worth roasting the potatoes on a separate tray right at the top of the oven so they crisp a little and add the tomatoes at the same time as the other veg but on a lower shelf. This is a fabulous recipe, zesty and juicy. It is now a favourite and will be made again.Chef
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#roastvegetablemoussaka #yoghurt #potatoes #baking #parmesan #feta #passata #peppers #oliveoil #onion #cherrytomatoes