Red pickled eggs
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 10 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 200ml distilled, white pickling vinegar
- 200ml beetroot juice (see Chef's notes below)
- Sterilise your jar and lid, and allow to cool.
- Randomly prick the eggs with a cocktail stick to allow for the better colouring and flavouring of the eggs (optional).
- Fill your cold jar with them eggs.
- Pour in the beetroot juice and top up with the distilled vinegar.
- Seal, and keep for 2 weeks before consumption.
For preference, use peeled, raw, fresh beetroot (about 500g) to obtain your juice. My next choice would be pre cooked, vacuum packed beetroot and in third place, you could use jarred pickled beetroot, drained from its vinegar.
For this recipe, I have used the pre cooked vacuum packed beetroot, as our nearest greengrocer is miles away.
If you can get it, there is an excellent commercially produced organic beetroot juice available. It is so delicious, however, that you will probably want to drink it rather than use it for pickling!
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.