Prawn stir-fry with French beans, galangal and garlic
- 3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 25 g galangal, (after peeling and grating)
- 450 g fresh prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 450 g French beans, topped and tailed
- 120 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml fish sauce (tuk trey, nuoc mam or nam pla)
- Juice of two limes and zest of one
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) jaggery or sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 Lemongrass stalk, sliced finely
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice and zest, sugar, garlic and lemon grass and whisk until the sugar has dissolved
- Add the prawns to this marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the ghee in a wok and add the garlic and galangal
- Just as the garlic starts to colour, add the prawns and marinade
- Stir-fry until the prawns turn pink
- Tip the prawns and juice into a bowl and reserve
- Add the remaining tablespoons of ghee and stir fry the onions for 4 minutes until they colour
- Add the beans and soy sauce and cook for 4 minutes or until the beans are cooked to your liking
- Turn up the heat and reduce the sauce if needed.
- Tip the prawn mixture back into the wok and heat for a minute or two
- Serve immediately
Blanch the beans first for a few minutes in boiling water if you prefer them 'softer'.
I am not keen on thin strips of lemon grass which can be a little tough unless it is really fresh, so I prefer to leave it whole. Just smash it with a cleaver to release the oils and then discard it when serving the meal.
I made this for 2 but kept most of the quantities the same, apart from the soy sauce as 120ml seemed a lot. I probably used 50ml. It was delicious. I may add more vegetables next time.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#prawns #prawnstirfrywithfrenchbeansgalangalandgarlic #galangal #marinade #beans #garlic #ghee #lemongrass #zest #wok #fishsauce