Pork steaks with apples, sage and cider
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 boneless pork loin steaks
- 250 g shallots, peeled but not chopped
- 1 medium cooking apple
- 1 medium red-skinned eating apple
- 300 ml good quality cider
- 2 tablespoons of fresh sage leaves, chopped (about 14 leaves)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel, core and cut each apple into 8 slices
- Leave the
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and cook the steaks for 5 minutes per side. They should be lightly browned.
- Add the shallots and stir-fry for another 6 minutes.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add the apples, sage and cider, stir well and season to taste.
- Simmer vigorously for 25 to 30 minutes or until the apples have broken down into the sauce.
We're going to try this with Squash, bubble and squeak.
Although 14 sage leaves sounds an awful lot, it probably could have had more as the flavour was not prevalent.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#porksteakswithapplessageandcider #shallots #cider #sage #apples #apple #mashedpotatoes #miseenplace #greenvegetable #wok #sageleaves