(Redirected from Pineapple vinegar recipe)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Well this recipe failed miserably. No 'mother' appeared, and rather than clearing even after filtering, it grew cloudier and cloudier and smelt like badly fermenting beer. You are welcome to try this and see if you get better results than I did. In the meantime, I will do more research, try again, and document the results. If you have better luck or any ideas, do please update the comments page.
Mexican recipes often call for pineapple vinegar, and now you can make your own with this simple recipe. A little like sour dough, once you have your mother or starter, you can continue making more batches with just water and sugar. The process can take up to 8 weeks or more, so don't expect instant results.
- The peelings from half of a fresh, washed, pineapple
- Only the peelings are needed for this recipe, so use the good parts of the peeled and cored pineapple in one of these recipes!
- 4 heaped tablespoons raw sugar (demerara, muscovado, jaggery etc)
- 1.5 litres water
- Mix the peelings, sugar and water together in a sterilised container and drape with a cheesecloth
- Leave in a sunny warm place to ferment. In the UK, a warm conservatory is excellent for this
- It should start fermenting after 3 days and become acidic
- It will begin cloudy but should clear and gradually turn a dark amber - this may take 3 weeks or more
- In a further 3 weeks, the mother or starter (a white disc of mould) should form - once this forms and is quite solid, the vinegar can be strained and bottled.
- The mother/starter can be placed in more water and sugar without the need for more pineapple to create more vinegar.
- It may be possible to freeze the mother for later use - watch this space to see if this worked for me!
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pineapple #pineapplevinegar #litres #vinegar #demerara #cheesecloth #dough #pickled #mexican #muscovado #jaggery