(Redirected from Pea bean)
The small, white navy bean, also called pea bean, haricot bean or white bean, is particularly popular in Britain and the US, featured in such dishes as baked beans and, oddly enough, pies, as well as in various soups such as the famous Senate bean soup.
- Great northern beans
- Rainy River
Other white beans are Cannellini beans, a popular variety in Central and Southern Italy.
How to cook white beans in a pressure cooker
Use this basic guide if you do not have a specific recipe
- Pick through the beans and discard any discoloured beans or loose skins
- Soak in cold water for a minimum of the time shown, soaking overnight is usually the best way to achieve this
- Change soaking water a few times if possible
- Never cook the beans in the water they were soaked in
- Rinse the beans well at the end of the soaking period
- Ensure the pressure cooker is at least a quarter full
- Never fill the pressure cooker more than half full
- Always cover the beans with at least 5 cm (2") water
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the water - this reduces foaming
- Allow the pressure cooker to get to the required pressure and then begin timing
- Use the specified pressure release method - this is the natural method in the case of dried beans or pulses
- A bean is usually perfectly cooked when it can be easily squashed between your forefinger and thumb
- If the beans are not sufficiently cooked, return to pressure, cook for another 3 minutes and allow the pressure to reduce using the natural method.
Re-check that the beans are cooked to your liking.
|BEAN VARIETY||COLD WATER SOAK TIME
|PRESSURE COOKING TIME||COOKING PRESSURE
High = 15 psi
Medium = 10 psi
Low = 5 psi
|PRESSURE RELEASE METHOD|
|White or cannellini beans||4 hours||12 minutes||High||Natural|
- Instructions and pressure cooking times for more than 20 types of bean
- Detailed index and cooking information for more than 20 bean varieties
- Pressure cooking information and pressure cooking recipes
#whitebean #beans #pressurecooker #naturalmethod #driedbeans #bakedbeans #naturalpressurereleasemethod #pulses #senatebeansoup #vegetableoil #vegetables