Papas a la huancaina
Huancayo is a town situated about 3,000 metres above sea level in the Peruvian Andes. It is the first Latin American meal I made and is great for vegetarians.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 60ml lemon juice
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 medium potatoes
- 340 g fresh cheese (cottage cheese) or Caerphilly cheese, roughly chopped
- 4 or more ají amarillo chillies, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 280 ml double cream
- 140 ml olive oil
- 30g Lettuce leaves
- 200 g sweetcorn, cooked
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled and cut in half
- 1 garlic clove
- Make a marinade with the lemon juice, cayenne pepper and seasoning and add the onions rings.
- Leave at room temperature for a few hours.
- If using dried ají amarillo chillies, allow to soak in hot, but not boiling water for 20 minutes to allow them to rehydrate.
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until cooked.
- Peel and keep warm.
- Meanwhile blend the cheese, lemon,turmeric and the cream in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth.
- In a pan, heat the oil, add the onions, garlic and rehydrated chillies. Add this sauted ingredients to the previous sauce and blend until smooth. At the end add a little oil to make it brighter.
- Make a bed of lettuce leaves on a large plate.
- Place the potatoes on the top and pour the sauce over them.
- Sprinkle with the sweetcorn and olives and arrange the eggs on the top.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.