- 900 g Spanish onions, sliced
- 180 ml olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon saffron, ground to a powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 sticks of celery, halved lengthways
- Arrange the onions in layers in a large, shallow dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the oil, saffron, ginger, pepper, half the cinnamon and half the sugar.
- Pour over onions and add enough water to cover. Mix well then set aside and marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3).
- Place the whole celery sticks crossways in the bottom of a greased, heatproof baking dish, then arrange onions in overlapping layers on top of the celery.
- Pour the marinade over the onions, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon and sugar, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 230° C (450° F - gas 8).
- Once the temperature has been reached, remove the foil and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until slightly caramelised and very tender. Serve hot.
I would be inclined to add some garlic to it.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.