Onion, garlic and chilli relish
A spicy relish from North Africa
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
- A few saffron strands
- 50 ml warm water
- A small piece of cinnamon stick
- 4 small dried Bird's Eye chillies
- 1 large bay leaf
- 45 ml sherry vinegar
- 45 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemons, chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until it is hot.
- Add the onions, reduce the heat to low immediately and stir.
- Cover and fry until they are soft, stirring from time to time.
- Add the garlic cloves and continue cooking, covered, until the garlic starts to soften.
- Next, add the coriander and the sugar, stir, and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime add the saffron to the warm water and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Add to the onions, with the cinnamon, chillies, bay leaf, sherry vingear and orange juice.
- Cook gently until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the lemon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Other Onion relish recipes
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.