Octavito's fricase' de pollo (Cuban chicken fricassee')
From Carla's recipe blog:
" This is my grandfather, Octavio Saavedra's recipe. This easy to make dish reflects the Eastern cultures' influence on cuban cuisine. The balance between the sweet raisins and salty olives lends a deceptively complex marriage of flavours, more evocative of Indian cuisine."
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 6 - 8 pieces.
- 1 small Spanish or white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon of Goya Sazonador
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 150ml tomato sauce
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 8 -10 green olives
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 cup sultanas or raisins
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into centimetre size slices.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the chicken in the vegetable oil.
- Once slightly browned, add the onions
- Once the onions have begun to caramelise, add the Goya Sazonador, potatoes, carrots and garlic.
- A minute later, add the white whine, tomato sauce, lemon juice, bay leaf and garlic.
- Stir and cover for twenty minutes.
- Add the raisins and olives and stir again.
- Cover and simmer for ten more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let heat reduce for five minutes. Now salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe has been added courtesy of Carla Cancio-Bello - cuban cuisine.co.uk. Unfortunately, as of February 2019 the website is no longer in existence.
Some people like sliced pimentos in this dish too.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#garlic #raisins #bayleaf #tomatosauce #olives #octavitosfricasedepollocubanchickenfricassee #vegetableoil #carrots #goyasazonador #lemonjuice #chicken