New York-style stone baked pizza
This one uses the grill, a pizza stone and the oven so it's as close to a proper pizza oven as you can get.
- 1 portion pizza dough - Makes 2 pizzas
- 150 g ball of mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
- 1 spicy pepperoni-style sausage
- 300g cooked meatballs - (I used turkey and chicken meatballs from Waitrose - delicious)
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup spicy tomato sauce
- Handful of basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon pickled capers
- 1 tablespoon fine yellow cornmeal
- Make the pizza dough as instructed
- If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone under a very hot grill for about 20 minutes. Place it about 8cm (3") from the heat source.
- Make 1 pizza per person
- Dust the work surface with fine yellow cornmeal
- Stretch or roll the dough into two thin rounds
- Sprinkle the stone with fine yellow cornmeal
- Prick the pizza all over with a fork. This prevents it puffing up too much and burning while it is cooking
- Pre-cook the empty pizza base on one side only for about 3 minutes or until it is lightly browned
- Remove from the oven, flip and add the topping.
- Lightly oil one side of the pizza and grill, oiled side down, flip an repeat, about 2 minutes per side
- Drizzle the pizza with olive oil and spread the pizza with ½ of the tomato sauce
- Top with torn mozzarella, Crushed garlic, sausage and meatballs
- Bake for 3 or 4 minutes or until the cheese browns a little - watch it carefully as it can burn easily.
- Remove and sprinkle with torn basil and capers
- Keep the fist pizza warm at the bottom of the oven whilst you make the second.
- Serve hot
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.