Mushroom and garlic soup
While everyone else seems to be cooking Christmas dinner, we're making mushroom soup on an industrial scale thanks to Kentdown Mushroom Farm who, via a friend of ours, provided a few kilograms of free mushrooms - soup it is then.
We made two batches with slightly different ingredients, this was the best one.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 60 g butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Big pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 675 g of field mushrooms, washed and sliced in a food processor
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 75 g of plain flour (about 50g per litre of liquid)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- We've used no salt as we have used commercial vegetable bullion, which is already quite salty.
- Heat the butter, olive oil in a large pan and add a big pinch of black pepper.
- Turn the heat down quite low and gently sauté the onions for 15 minutes - adding the crushed garlic for the last 5 minutes. Meanwhile...
- Wash the mushrooms - best practice suggests brushing mushrooms, that might be fine for a handful, but we had 2 kilograms to clean! The water in the bucket we used to wash the mushrooms was very black and mucky afterwards.
- Lay them out on tea-towels to dry a little before slicing them finely in a food processor.
- Add the mushrooms to the cooked onions, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you are going to keep some of the sliced mushrooms back to add after blending for a chunkier soup, reserve a ladle-full of them at this stage.
- Temporarily remove from the heat and sprinkle all of the flour over the mushroom mixture, stirring all the while to make a roux.
- Add the milk and vegetable stock and mix well.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes stirring now and then.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then in small batches, carefully blend in a food processor.
- Add any reserved mushrooms back at this stage, reheat and serve immediately with crusty bread and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- A composite of ideas taken from four cookbooks including The New Covent Garden Soup Company's "Book of Soups", ISBN 075220503X and Debra Mayhew's "The Soup Bible", ISBN 0760790450
This freezes very well. Ladle the cold soup into plastic bags on a large tray and carefully freeze the whole tray, sealing the bags up once fully frozen.
- Kentdown Mushroom Farm, Scudders Hill, Fawkham, Longfield, Kent, DA3 8PA. Tel: 01474 703 164 - 01474 703191
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mushrooms #soup #vegetablestock #foodprocessor #mushroomandgarlicsoup #onions #mushroom #fat #butter #simmer #oliveoil