This recipe needs advance preparation!
This easy to make mango chutney does not need to be matured so can be eaten as soon as it has been made.
- 1 kg (2 lb) green mangoes
- 450 g redcurrants
- 225 g (8 oz) fresh ginger, peeled
- 1.8 kg (4 lb) sugar or jaggery
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Peel the mangoes with a peeler or mandoline and with a very sharp knife, slice the mangoes
- Blend half of the ginger and half of the redcurrants in a feed processor
- Julienne the remaining ginger
- Add the remaining ingredients apart from the mangoes to a pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the mangoes and simmer gently until the chutney has the consistency of jam and the mangoes are tender
- Allow to cool and store in sterilised, airtight jars jars
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mangochutney #mangoes #redcurrants #ginger #vinegar #chutney #chillipowder #sterilised #julienne #freshginger #jam