Liver and bacon (Mrs Beeton's)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
Straight from the 1861 recipe! Short and simple.
- 900g (2 lb) liver (calf or lambs liver)
- 900g (2 lb) bacon
- pepper and salt, to taste
- a small piece of butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon-juice
- 150ml (¼ pint) water
- Cut the liver in thin slices, and cut as many slices of bacon as there are of liver
- fry the bacon first, and put that on a hot dish before the fire.
- Fry the liver in the fat which comes from the bacon, after seasoning it with pepper and salt and dredging it with a little flour.
- Turn the liver occasionally to prevent its burning, and when done lay it round the dish with a piece of bacon between each.
- Pour away the bacon fat, put in a small piece of butter, dredge in a little flour, add the lemon-juice and water, give one boil, and pour it in the middle of the dish.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#butter #lemon #servings #panfried