Thick and warming, this soup is great comfort food on a winter evening, serve with warm crusty bread.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 225 g (1/2 lb) of dry red lentils
- 6 cups of vegetable stock or water
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- Pick over the lentils and remove any stones. Rinse well.
- Heat the olive oil, with a twist of pepper, in a large pan over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the onion and carrots. Sauté for a few minutes, until the vegetables have started to soften, then add the garlic, stir-fry until the garlic takes some colour.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, and stock to the pot. Simmer over low-medium heat for 25-35 minutes, until lentils are softened.
Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice just before serving, serve hot with crusty bread.
Sprinkle with chili flakes for a spicier soup.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.