Lemon meringue pie
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 175g plain flour
- 100g butter, straight from the fridge and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk [reserve white for meringue]
- level tablespoons cornflour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- zest from 2 large lemons
- strained juice from 2 large lemons
- strained juice from 1 orange
- 85g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 whole egg and 3 yolks [reserve whites for the meringue]
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Add the flour, butter, sugar and egg yolk to a food processor with a plastic blade and pulse the mixture until it binds together. Don't over-work it.
- Roll out to fit a 23 cm fluted non-stick baking tin, ideally with a loose bottom for easy release.
- Prick the base with a fork and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Blind bake the case for about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Mix the lemon zest, cornflour and sugar in a medium pan and gradually add the lemon juice.
- Separately, mix the orange juice with enough water to make 200 ml. Add this to the pan. Cook this over a medium heat until it thickens, stirring all the while.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter
- Beat the 3 yolks and whole egg together and add to pan.
- Return to a medium heat and stir constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the whites to a large bowl and whisk to soft peaks with an electric mixer.
- Try not to overwork the meringue from now on.
- Mix the sugar with the cornflour and add a spoonful at a time, lightly whisking between each addition.
baking the pie
- Reheat the filling if needed and pour into the pastry case.
- Top with the meringue mixture by adding a spoonful at a time. Start around the edges and work into the centre to prevent the meringue from sinking into the filling.
- Give the pie a final jiggle before you bake in the centre of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the peaks colour slightly.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 30 minutes before removing from the baking tray.
- It's best to leave for another 30 minutes before slicing.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.