Leek and cream risotto
If you grow leeks, this is great vegetarian recipe is an ideal way to use the baby leeks.
As with all risottos, this recipe requires constant attention.
- 4 baby leeks (white parts only, cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 1.5 litres (2.5 pints) good vegetable stock (Knorr vegetable stock cube(s) and/or good quality clear vegetable soup would work.
- 350 g (12 oz) Risotto rice
- 175 ml (6 fl oz) single cream
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
- In a pan, melt the butter, add the leeks and cook gently for 5 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon and simmer for a further 20 minutes, adding a little extra water if it dries out
- In another pan, boil the stock
- Add the rice to the leeks and coat with the butter
- Add the stock a ladle full of hot stock at a time. Don't add more stock until the previous liquid has been absorbed into the rice
- This will about 20 minutes
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the cream and season with salt and freshly grated black pepper
Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.