- 1 lb [450 g] neck of mutton
- 2 onions
- 2 sheep's kidneys
- ½ pint [280 ml] warm water [or stock]
- 2 lb [900 g] potatoes
- ½ oz [15 g] melted butter
- Skin and core the kidneys, and cut the meats into small neat pieces.
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes, and slice the onions.
- Line the casserole with a layer of these vegetables.
- Season well and fill the casserole with layers of meat, vegetables and seasonings.
- Pour on the water [or stock].
- Have a layer of potatoes on top, brush over with a little melted butter, cover with a "lid" of buttered paper, or the lid of the casserole, and cook for half-an-hour at fairly hot [220 C/425 F/Gas 7], then for 1½ hours in a slow oven [150 C/300 F/Gas 2].
- Remove the lid, and continue cooking for a further half hour to brown the top layer.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #lancashirehotpot #kidneys #onions #mutton #vegetables #stock #butter #rootvegetables #lamb #herbs