(Redirected from How to cook Popover)
A popover is a recipe of American origin. A light, hollow roll made from an egg batter similar to that used in making Yorkshire pudding. The name "popover" comes from the fact that the batter swells or "pops" over the top of the muffin tin while baking. They can also be baked in individual custard cups.
Recently whilst reading John Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday, I noticed a reference to popovers and wondered what they were:
Joe Elegant was a pale young man with bangs. He smoked foreign cigarettes in a long ebony holder and he cooked for the Bear Flag. The girls said he made the best popovers in the world, and he could give a massage that would shake the kinks out of a Saturday night when the fleet was in.
..hence this page.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Allow the milk to get to room temperature
- Sift the flour
- Add the ingredients to a food-processor with a metal blade, in the following order:
- Pulse blend for about 35 seconds
- Pour in to a well buttered popover or Muffin tray
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200° C (400° F - gas 6)
- Reduce the heat to 180° C (350° F - gas 4) and bake for a further 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#popover #yorkshirepudding #muffin #flour #eggs #bake #custard #baked #batter #baking #plainflour