Honey roast chicken with salt and Szechuan pepper crust
- 1.25 kg (1lb 12 oz) corn fed chicken, parson's nose removed
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 tablespoons runny honey (or use normal honey and microwave for a few seconds)
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 3 Cloves of garlic smashed under a cleaver or frying pan
- 15 g fresh thyme
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3 complete star anise
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Remove the chicken from any packaging and pat dry. Keep cool.
- Lyn's tip is to cut the tips of the wings off to prevent then from tangling in the oven rack. I've never had that problem, but it can't do any harm.
- Smear the bird with the softened butter and then paint with the honey
- Sprinkle the skin with the salt and pepper
- Place the garlic, herbs and spices in the cavity
- Put the chicken on a rack over a roasting tray and roast for 45 minutes
- Leaving the chicken in the oven, tun the heat off and leave it to cook for a further 45 minutes as the oven cools down. If the roasting tray has dried out a little, add a splash of water to invigorate the juices for the salad dressing.
- Remove and serve immediately.
- A comprehensive guide to roast meat cooking times - give the time you want to carve your roast and we'll give you a timed step by step roasting guide
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#honeyroastchickenwithsaltandszechuanpeppercrust #chicken #butter #roastingtray #szechuanpeppercorns #honey #garlic #spices #blackpeppercorns #basilleaves #corn