Honey Pear Flapjacks
- 125g unsalted butter see Chef's notes below
- 125g brown sugar see Chef's notes below
- 75g honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seeds from ½ vanilla pod
- 1 lemon, zest only (optional)
- 200g porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- A pinch of sea salt
- 200g pecan nuts (whole or chopped) and/or seeds
- 150g coarsely grated pear
- Preheat the oven to 160° C (325° F - gas 3), [fan oven 140° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Line a 20cm square tin (or something of a similar size) with greaseproof paper or Bake-O-Glide. It makes getting the flapjacks out the tin much easier.
- Melt the butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and lemon zest (if using) a saucepan till the sugar dissolves.
- Mix the oats, mixed spice, a good pinch of sea salt and the nuts/seeds. Fold the grated pear through.
- Stir the melted butter mix through the oat mix till sticky and thick.
- Press the mix into your prepared tin. Place in the centre of the middle shelf. Bake for 30 mins or till the flapjacks are golden on the top and crispy around the edges.
- For best results, allow them to cool fully before cutting into them: tricky, but worth the wait.
- Vegan? Use coconut oil instead. Itll give the flapjacks a softer consistency but its delicious nonetheless.
- No brown sugar? Use caster or granulated sugar instead. The texture will be slightly softer but theyll still taste superb.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
All of the ingredients in this recipe can be delivered to your door by Abel & Cole; weekly home deliveries of organic fruit and vegetable boxes, and much much more.