Salad Days Forever!
5/5 Seeing this on a day when we are covered with snow fills my heart with joy! The Judge
This Mediterranean salad is most definitely a main course! This is the salad that has everything. Just omit the tuna for a vegetarian version. It takes a bit of time to prepare, but can be made in advance and will store for a day so you could have it two days running to lessen the effort!
For the salad
- 1 small iceberg lettuce
- 225 g (8 oz) French beans
- 225 g (8 oz) new salad potatoes (pink fir apple is ideal)
- 4 free range eggs, hard boiled for 10 minutes, cooled and peeled
- 1 sweet bell pepper (any colour)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 200 g (7 oz) can tuna (in oil or brine), drained and flaked
- 50 g (2 oz) Edam cheese, cut into small cubes
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered (Sungold if you can get them)
- 50g (2 oz) black olives, de-stoned
- Freshly chopped basil leaves to garnish
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the lettuce into four and cut out the hard core
- Chop into bite-sized pieces and arrange on serving plates
- Cook the French beans for 8 minutes and the potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain and cut the potatoes and beans in half
- Deseed the bell pepper and cut into small cubes
- Arrange the potatoes, beans, eggs, peppers, onion, tuna, tomatoes and cheese over the lettuce
- Make the dressing by adding all ingredients to a bowl and whisking well
- Dress with the olives basil leaves and salad dressing
Rather that canned tuna, marinade a small fresh tuna steak for 30 minutes in dark soy sauce, flip it once. Season with freshly ground black pepper and pan fry it in a little olive oil for 2 minutes a side, let it cool, then slice it thinly.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#tuna #potatoes #glorioussalad #lettuce #beans #salad #frenchbeans #bellpepper #basilleaves #whitewinevinegar #apple